Judson Knight's Epic World

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Choosing a Good Title

There's something about a really great title--something compelling that extends beyond the work itself. It's especially powerful when the work so titled is as great as the appellation applied to it--One Hundred Years of Solitude comes to mind, as do several albums from the Beatles' middle period, or any number of French films from the mid-twentieth century (The Grand Illusion, The 400 Blows, Breathless, etc.)

This connection between the power of a title and the power of the work itself can be equal for the lowbrow as for the highbrow. I think of a book we have on the bookshelf in our downstairs bathroom (yes, we have one--a bookshelf in our bathroom, that is) called Dig That Crazy Grave, a 1960s pulp detective novel by Richard S. Prather. Or a book my older brother Jon supposedly brought home when we were kids (I was too young to know about this at the time) allegedly titled Kids Who Love to F____. KISS songs from the classic era often had extremely compelling titles ("God of Thunder," "Shock Me"), and then there's one of my all-time favorite horror film titles: Make Them Die Slowly. (That was the title for U.S. audiences, anyway, where people are less literate; in Europe, it was the much less visceral Cannibal Ferox.

But what if a work doesn't live up to its title? I'll never forget my disappointment when I discovered that I'd already read the best part of Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land before I cracked the cover. (And the title itself came from the Bible.) Or The Bridges of Madison County: with that title, I expected to be awed, and I was, well, rather less so. Or the movie Strange Days (in contrast to the Doors album after which it's named, which completely lives up to its title.) Yet if a title of a bad work is entirely original--for instance, Ed Wood's I Woke Up Early the Day I Died--doesn't that count as a form of art in itself? And though the Bridget Fonda movie Point of No Return was laughably horrible, should somebody get kudos for the cool title and poster art?

I don't know; I only know that I have a hard time coming up with titles that don't sound stupid, and I'm always impressed with those people who go out on a limb for something really fresh that ultimately sticks in the mind: The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, say, or Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red. I never figured I had that kind of ability, so I've tended to swim a little closer to shore. Mostly I rely on my wife, agent, and muse, who's titled many a book for our clients, and helped me come up with character names, etc.

So when she set me up with a blog and asked me what I wanted to call it, I shrugged and said, "What do you want to call it?" And she came up with this crazy title, which I liked immediately because I took its sheer grandiosity as an inherent form of self-deprecation. Probably won't have much of an epic nature to offer in this little world, but at least I hope it will be entertaining.

15 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Ellen said...

LOL. I totally disagree with you on STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND, but I have to admit it is a great title (albeit an even greater book:-).

Like you, I'm not very good at coming up with titles, I'm afraid. Mine usually derive either from songs or poetry. Using someone else's terrific phrase is a good way of creating a memorable title.

 
At 6:49 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Ellen! Great to see you over here on my honey's blog. :)

Jud, waves. It's your wife. I linked to your site so you'll probably have lots of new fans. :) Love you!

 
At 7:13 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Thanks, Ellen! You were my very, very first poster! And I knew I'd have detractors on Stranger--maybe even on Bridges. But what fun is the world without disagreement? ;-)

 
At 7:31 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Hmmm, notice he ignored me. Maybe he thinks I'm a cyber-stalker. In which case the call really would be coming from inside the house.

 
At 7:40 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Now that would be a novel way to stalk somebody: marry him, have kids w/ him, etc.--and all along you're stalking him. Didn't I say my wife was brilliant?

 
At 7:42 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Who's stalking who here, honey?? :)
Look, people laugh at us for emailing in the house. Now we're cyberposting in the house. We'll be the laughing STALK of the cybersphere soon.

 
At 8:10 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

If you guys E-MAIL across the house and think you might be a little bit "off," what would you think of us, who call each other on our cell phones so we don't have to yell through the house? Completely whacked, huh? :-)

Love the first post, Jud! I have a special place in my heart for titles. Maybe cause I finally thought of one that was actually worth something. Of course, every time I told someone today that my new book was titled VENUS ENVY, I got to watch their eyes widen...just a fraction, so as not to appear impolite or anything.

Of course, then I found out that my husband told everyone at work today that a friend of mine thought it up! Geez! I finally get one right, and what does he do?

Anyway, welcome, Jud! I agree your wife is brilliant and I love her...probably almost as much as you do at this moment! LOL!

Shannon

 
At 9:24 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Nephele Tempest said...

Ah, I knew it was just a matter of time before you came out to play, too, Jud. ;)

I'm with you on the title thing. I can't dream them up to save my soul. (Clients of mine beware: I leave title-brainstorming to Deidre, who has a talent for it.) I think part of it is that titles are so important as an attention-getting-device that I just go blank, and anything that comes to mind tends to be overly obvious or just inane.

 
At 7:20 AM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Hey, Shannon, Neph! Thanks for stopping by! Shannon, Venus Envy is an awesome title: I smile every time Deidre mentions it, and I plan to smile even more when it’s published and selling like five-dollar bills priced at a dollar!

And thanks, y’all, for not gigging me on the fact that "Choosing a Good Title" is itself not a very interesting title. It would only be good if it were totally ironic, stated in a deliberately prosaic tone, but one would have to be looking so deeply for the humor that it would pass by 99 percent of humanity. (In this vein, there is a school of thought that maintains that Plato meant for his Republic, with its apparently approving portrait of a proto-totalitarian state, to be taken ironically—in which case, I always say, it would have to be one of the most extended and obscure jokes of all time. But that doesn’t have anything to do with titles.)

I did think Irwin Shaw's short story, "Main Currents in American Thought," had a great title in that sort of ironic, prosaic vein. Turns out the title is a reference to a book by Vernon L. Parrington, a major American cultural critic of the early-to-mid twentieth century. I remember once being annoyed by a writer’s ridiculously obscure reference to someone as “a garden-variety Parrington,” and then only ages later discovering that I actually had the book Main Currents in American Thought—which, if I’m not mistaken, is nestled comfortably in the previously mentioned downstairs bathroom bookcase.

Shannon, your post about music on your blog put me in mind of what I’d already planned to post next—about my role as “music snob” with my wife and friends. So come back and visit soon!

 
At 11:56 AM, May 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Titles are so important but I agree it can be quite disappointing when it's the best part of a book. Sometimes I can come up with a great title and sometimes not. It's kind of a flukey thing with me :) Hehehehehe doesn't everybody talk to their family members by instant message and email when they're in the same house? Glad to know I'm not the only strange one }:)

 
At 12:12 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

I'm with Ellen on Stranger.... Everything Heinlein is cool by me.

I'm usually good with titles. Right now though, to quote someone you're married to, "this title is a bitch."

 
At 12:38 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Jaci Burton said...

Howdy Jud and welcome to blogland *g*

I adore your wife, by the way ;-)

I'm totally and completely obsessed about titles. When I start a new book, I've GOT to have just the right title before I start writing it or it makes me crazy. It's like the title drives the theme, the characters, the plot, everything. I've even formed committees to help me title my books...yes, I'm that anal about titles. *g*

And my husband Charlie and I have desks in our office at home that sit about six feet apart....and we still instant message each other on the computer. Welcome to the sad and pathetic world of marriage by internet ;)

Jaci

 
At 12:52 PM, May 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jud, I must admit, the title of your blog amused me. I'm a sucker for a good ironic twist.

Welcome to bloggerdom.

Angela [who has resisted setting up a blog and must therefore be an anonymous. At least the first two letters are correct. ;)]

 
At 5:43 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Nephele Tempest said...

Hey, Angela- If you click on "other" it lets you fill in any name you'd like... ;)

 
At 7:31 PM, May 25, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Nephele, I keep trying to post on your blog, but there doesn't seem to be one. Et tu, Angela!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home