Judson Knight's Epic World

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Shaun Cassidy: Surprising "Indie Cred"

This is a followup to those readers--all female and more or less my contemporaries--who posted hear mentioning their former (?) adoration of Shaun Cassidy. Turns out he has a surprisingly high standing with true "rock snobs," judging by the entry on him in Musichound Rock: The Essential Album Guide, which begins thus: "Oh, quit your damn snickering. His teenybopper status notwithstanding, Keith Partridge's younger brother was actually a pretty good singer, and he had good taste in material as well." Turns out no less a figure of awe than Todd Rundgren worked with him as a producer.

For that matter, Shaun's older brother David has accrued far more respect than most of us (males) would have guessed in the early 1970s, when my own older brothers used to ridicule him in some pretty choice terms. He won my heart a long time ago, with his inherently self-deprecating role as host of VH1's 8-Track Flashback, and now I discover--again, thanks to MusicHound--that he has played with Mick Ronson, known for his work with Lou Reed and other luminaries. (And Ronson has an entry in the Rock Snob Encyclopedia [see below]. Need I say more?)

3 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Ha! I knew I had good musical taste. :-)

I had to go look Shaun up, though, just to see whatever became of the guy who used to make my young teen-aged self swoon. Um...he appears to have aged right along with the rest of us. ;-)

Shannon

 
At 1:56 PM, June 04, 2005, Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Okay, the Shaun site linked to all kinds of great sites including, ahem, the following:

http://www.cmongethappy.com/

I was a Partridge Family fan when it aired on Friday nights in prime time, as Judson will attest. Wow. What a cool site.

 
At 3:22 PM, June 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They kept good company :) Cool info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home