Judson Knight's Epic World

Friday, June 24, 2005

What's the Good Word?

Here are a few that I have enjoyed over the years:

Basilisk--a legendary reptile with fatal breath and glance.

Callipygian--having nicely formed buttocks.

Espiègle (es-PYOG[l])--frolicsome, roguish. (To paraphrase an observation by a character in a skit from Mad TV, "Richard Simmons performing rhythmic aerobics while dancing with a rainbow flag would not be as gay as that word.")

Mundungus--foul-smelling tobacco.

Oogamous--a form of gamete reproduction wherein a small mobile male impregnates a large immobile female. (I've known some couples like this.)

Sir-reverence--An archaic term that could mean either "an expression of apology before a statement that might be considered offensive" or "a lump of human feces".

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, June 24, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Wow - I'm impressed.
Unable to contribute though. I'm fried from processing 10-15 pounds of strawberries.
Liked the words though I can't see myself using them in conversation anytime soon *grin*.

 
At 5:39 AM, July 02, 2005, Blogger Kristen Painter said...

They are fun words. I imagine they're also the kind of words a critique partner would squint at, then comment "a simpler word choice would be better".

 
At 6:03 PM, July 05, 2005, Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Can I use the reptile one as an evil race of alien villains?? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home