Judson Knight's Epic World

Friday, June 17, 2005

The Education of a Three-Year-Old

Joining countless young women before her--including one particular young woman who's been very much in the news lately--my three-year-old daughter has become intrigued with Tom Cruise. This all started because she was sitting on my lap when I was checking my AOL email account, and when a picture of him (related to all the current brouhaha about Katie, etc.) popped up, she said, "Daddy, who's that?" So I told her, and she kept asking me so many questions about him that finally I Googled his image and we looked at several of them. (Though none of the steamy stuff with Nicole from Eyes Wide Shut, of course.)

Anyway, she just kept on talking about Tom Cruise, and later on when she was sitting on the potty, she happened to look down and see a copy of Entertainment Weekly with his picture on it. With a very serious expression on her face, she asked me, "What color is Tom Cruise's dirt, Daddy?" To which I said, of course, "Tom Cruise's dirt is the same color as everyone else's, sweetheart." Let's just hope that she retains that lesson, one of the most valuable that life has to offer, as she grows up and begins to encounter the images, illusions, and falsehoods that surround us all in this world.

4 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, June 18, 2005, Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Don't let Angela see this post!! :) love you!

 
At 4:47 PM, June 19, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

How true. If it's not through the media that exposes kids to things we'd not have them question so early in their young lives, it is real life. Like making the mistake on taking 2 young'uns to Provincetown , MA and asking questions about what they see right in front of their noses. Thank goodness, distraction and diversion still works.....*sigh*

 
At 6:24 PM, June 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too late De. I saw it. lol

But, not to worry. I did my ritual spitting and sign of the cross at the mention of the Feral Chipmunk's name. :)

 
At 7:42 AM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Oh Gosh. 3 Years old and already has a crush on Tom Cruise. Well, his current fiance is 19 years younger than he is, and grew up with is posters on her wall. Maybe when your daughter is 21 he'll be divorced again :)

I'm sure she will remember that everyone's dirt is the same, no matter what their financial status :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home