Judson Knight's Epic World

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Reverse Gerund: Should It Be a Capital Offense?

Deidre and I were talking today about gerunds (verbs turned into nouns; e.g., swimming), and that soon got me onto one of my favorite soapboxes: what I call--for want of a better term--the reverse gerund. By this I mean a noun turned into a verb, a particularly heinous example of which is "to gift". There was also a commercial some time back that referred to "a better way to office," while more common examples are "to message," "to text," etc.

I don't know if it's just me, but for reasons I can't quite identify, I think the reverse gerund is a horrifying abuse of the language. Perhaps it's because it has an immediate sound of jargon, of insider talk; or perhaps it's just cutesy. Of course, reverse gerunds have been with us for a long time, probably as long as gerunds themselves--I think nothing, for instance, of saying that I'm "posting" to my blog--but they seem to have undergone an almost virus-like proliferation in recent years.

Okay, so maybe the use of the reverse gerund is not the worst offense out there in this world, but it's still one that makes my flesh crawl. Now that I've ranted, I'm going to go off and television, then bed. When I wake up, I'll breakfast... and so on, I suppose, until I afterlife.

6 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, June 08, 2005, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Don't forget that you "blogged" tonight. :-)
Shannon

 
At 7:27 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Ellen said...

Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) refers to this phenomenon as "verbing." I love that term:-).

 
At 4:34 AM, June 11, 2005, Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

Verbing weirds language. That's a favorite phrase in our house.

There are certain "new verbs" I'll take to: google, blog, etc., because great shifts in technology must be accompanied by shifts in language. However, I still shudder at "impact" used as a verb. Ugh, it makes me hurt. Are you talking about teeth or meteorites? No? Then let something have an impact, for the love of all that is grammatically correct!

 
At 8:58 AM, June 11, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Right on about the matter of "blogging," etc., Diana. Such words are exempt from all or at least most of the punishments that should be meted out for use of the reverse gerund. Or should I say "reverse gerunding"? I don't guess that would meet the exemption, since it has nothing to do with new technology.

 
At 8:41 PM, November 01, 2011, Anonymous themata said...

The implication that any change to the English language is somehow a bastardization is just hipster nonsense. The language has been changing and morphing for hundreds and hundreds of years. For god's sake, it used to closely resemble old German, then it got morphed in with French, and the changing has been going on ever since. To imply that it somehow is wrong to add new aspects to our language is just stupid and I think you're foolish for thinking so.

 
At 2:14 PM, February 09, 2016, Blogger Unknown said...

I use them all the time in writing to put poetic elements into prose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home