Judson Knight's Epic World

Friday, August 26, 2005

A Little Learning Is a Dangerous Thing

Just on the off chance that anybody's wondering why yours truly has waxed so silent over the month of August, I can claim only the vicissitudes of business ownership and of course parenthood. That and a tendency to write putative blog postings that read more like entries for the Catholic Encyclopedia or some other such ponderous and all-encompassing work. I've scrapped a number of entries that started with a simple theme and just grew and grew. As I love to tell other writers (do as I say, not as I do!), any fool can make something complex of something simple, but it takes a true genius to make something simple out of something complex.

The subject of encylcopedias brings to mind out an interesting little tiff between two writers that I happened to read about recently. It started with Joe Queenan's review, in the New York Times, of The Know-It-All: A Little Learning Is a Dangerous Thing by A. J. Jacobs. Queenan savaged Jacobs's book, in which the latter set out (clearly with tongue in cheek) to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and then present the great knowledge he had thus obtained.

Queenan castigates Jacobs for a variety of sins, some of which I personally consider almost castigation-worthy: as JQ writes, "the premise of the book is completely wrong. The animating idea of this misguided endeavor is that corralling a vast array of unrelated facts will, in and of itself, make a person more interesting.... [But f]acts absorbed without context merely magnify the intellectual deficiencies of the autodidact, because a poorly educated person does not know which facts are important."

Besides his praiseworthy use of the word animating, one of my favorite terms (thanks to a book I basically inhaled as a voracious twenty-one-year-old, Contemporary Radical Ideologies by A. James Gregor), I agree with Queenan's antipathy for the superstition that acquiring what CNN used to annoyingly called "factoids"--useless information presented without context--constitutes some form of real knowledge. Long before the present media age, Hermann Hesse (pictured right) basically ripped such mentality a new one in his rather curious Magister Ludi. And I've long been a believer in the idea that wisdom and knowledge are far from the same thing.

One thing I found interesting about Queenan's article, though, is something he wouldn't necessarily care to point out: that at earlier points in his career, he too could be described in the same terms by which he paints Jacobs: "corny, juvenile, smug, tired." That was my impression of him years ago, when I first read him in the American Spectator (this was long before that publication began making headlines, by which point I had long since moved on.) Queenan seemed to me to embody the more base aspects of P. J. O'Rourke, without the latter's redeeming wit and deep common sense. And while I'm glad to see that Queenan has matured a great deal over the years, I still think he was a little "rough on the Beave."

Jacobs thought the same thing, obviously; hence his equally witty rebuttal in the same publication. It's always a tricky thing when writers respond to critics in print or otherwise, but Jacobs comported himself well, dealing out plenty of self-deprecating wit to balance the abundant Queenan-deprecating responses. And when it comes to authors vs. critics, I'm sorry, but I'm almost always going to be on the side of the authors, having experienced my own share of nasty reviews, either public or private (i.e., in the form of comments by advisors on scholarly publications for which I was writing.) For instance, there was this one... uh, person who gave my Beatles book such a blistering review that I decided he was simply setting out to find fault--and I confirmed this when a little research revealed that he'd written his own poorly received Beatles book years before. I sat down to write a withering response to the publication in which his review appeared, but thought better of it, and here these many years later it's still buried somewhere deep on my hard drive.

But Jacobs, on the other hand, did manage to write a rebuttal that makes his case effectively. In the process, he and Queenan together managed to put together the most entertaining literary pissing match (excuse my French) since V. S. Naipaul's dispute with Paul Theroux a few years back. And after all, isn't it much easier to argue about writing than it is to actually write?

8 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, September 12, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

HI!
Its September and the kiddies must be back in school. Will we see more of your in depth articles such as this? Reading it makes me feel like I need to go back to school to re-introduce my intellect to my brain. I think I've gotten too high of an infusion of Barney and Adventures of Jackie Chan to appreciate the greater literary writers you seem to be drawn to.
I miss adult thinking. Thanks for sharing yours.

 
At 7:26 AM, September 13, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Michele, as always you're the bomb! Actually, I kind of got off track starting with vacation in July; ever since then, with SO much going on (including a conference I'm going to this weekend as an agent), I haven't posted much (obviously!) And when I've thought of doing so, I've thought, "But really--why bother? Is anybody out there really reading this thing?"

So your note was right on time, and I promise to get back to regular posts again. To quote the rapper Ice Cold in one of my all-time favorite movies, "Fear of a Black Hat" (a sort of rapper version of "This Is Spinal Tap"), "I have much more to say!" This in itself isn't funny, of course, but it's in reply to the question of whether he'll write a sequel to his book "F.Y.M.," which stands for--well, let's just say that the middle word is "Y'all," and that the initials of the book could have been "F.Y.M.F." Confronted by such genius, and overshadowed by it as I inevitably am, I feel all the more honored to have a faithful reader!

 
At 8:14 PM, September 13, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Aw, gee shucks..*grin*
Anytime!
Please don't tell me you liked This is Spinal Tap!
I remember when that first came out. There are only 2 movies I've ever walked out of a theater on, First was Creep Show and the Second was Spinal Tap.
The ONLY remotely funny thing to happen in that movie was the guy sticking something large down the front of his pants.
Totally forgettable.
Of course, Now, you are going to tell me what was so great about it, right???

 
At 10:06 PM, September 13, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Yet I recall that you admitted to liking the Three Stooges, with which Spinal Tap seems very much in the same vein. Both could be classified under a larger rubric I once saw applied to the movie "Malibu's Most Wanted" and presumably the genre of which it would be considered a part: "'tard movies."

(I started to include a disclaimer that I didn't mean any offense to anyone w/ the use of that last phrase, then decided that maybe I was being paranoid to think that anyone *would* take offense. You just never know these days, though.)

Anyway, yes, as someone who loves (a) rock 'n' roll, (b) lowbrow humor, and (c) strangely nuanced writing and portrayal that never overplays its hyperbole, I've been a total sucker for "This Is Spinal Tap." Having seen it many times, however--and this is also the case w/ "Fear of a Black Hat"--I've pretty much wrung out of it all the enjoyment I'm likely to get from it. That's part of why I love to watch schlocky movies from, say, 1946 to 1971: there's an endless supply of them, and since the humor is usually unintentional, the joy is all that much greater.

 
At 4:40 AM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Hmmmmm, OK, food for thought.
When the movie came out, 1984 I believe, I was...Ssshhh! 21...
Therefore, with 20 extra years of livin', I will admit to being curious as to what changes in my perspective have occurred.
Yes, I love A And B, C is depending on topic.
And no, "tard" does NOT offend me,, makes me chuckle actually because we are talking films, not people.
I will commit to re-watching the film and THEN pass judgement.
BTW-DH and kids (boys of course) LOVE 3 stooges..I take them in small doses..although the mummy one with Queen Hotsy Totsy cracks me up. Or when Walter Brennan labels one of them, Curly , I think,as Baron of Gray Matter..or *chuckle* Barren of Grey Matter...Love it!!!
I'll let you know of my revised(?) opinion.
As far as schlocky films....
Curious about some titles...
any suggestions?

 
At 4:15 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Hiya, Michele. Sounds like a great blog topic--one I plan to tackle next. Will be at a writers' conference this weekend, but am enough of an optimist to think I'll manage a post during that time. If not, first thing next week! And thanks again for reading!

 
At 4:18 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

That link in the last post didn't work for some reason--I think it's called being in too much of a hurry--so here's the URL:

http://knightagency.blogspot.com/2005/09/one-backthe-other-gone-away.html

Nashville, btw, is a fabulous city. I did a book signing there six years ago, and have long wished for an excuse to go back. Among the many attractions there is an exact (or at least, as exact as it can be, based on scholars' knowledge) replica of the Parthenon. Most known in popular culture as the setting for the climactic scene in Robt. Altman's film "Nashville".

 
At 3:58 PM, October 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jud- Just a general comment- I love your writings and am printing out a couple that I haven't read yet so I can have them at home for late nite reading. Thanks for doing this-

Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home