Judson Knight's Epic World

Saturday, October 01, 2005

In Praise of Really Bad Movies

Some time back, I commented here on the joys of watching schlock movies, and Michele, my ever-faithful reader (I wish I could clone you, Michele!) asked me to recommend a few choice titles. The fact that it's taken me so long to get around to doing so is not so much a function of being busy (though of course that's a factor) as it is of the challenge inherent in trying to provide such a list. To an extent, bad movies are not so much individual items as they are a kind of product. But the really good bad stuff, of course, is truly great, and as worthy of viewing (if you're so inclined) as Citizen Kane or The 400 Blows.

One of the best ways to enjoy bad movies is through anthology-type films such as It Came from Hollywood (1982), which provided my introduction to the joys of schlock when I first viewed it many years ago. Another good title in this vein is Schlock!: The Secret History of American Movies (2001). And then there's that most notable ongoing guided tour of schlock provided by the old Comedy Central show Mystery Science Theater 3000.

The makers of MST3K, many episodes of which are available on DVD, more than delivered on their stated promise to (quoting loosely here) "sift out the really bad stuff so you get to see the really bad stuff." For the unitiated, the premise of that great contribution to popular culture was this: our protagonist, Joel (later replaced by Mike) runs afoul of some mad scientists, who force him to wander endlessly in his space capsule, watching bad movies they've downloaded to his personal theatre. To ease the pain, Joel creates a coterie of robot friends who watch the movies with him and make wisecracks, much the way we have all done with our friends at some time or another in our lives..

The show we see, then, is an edited version of the schlock movie, viewed from a position just behind our hero and his buddies (their silhouetted heads appear in the foreground), who comment on such greats as Touch of Satan, The Girl in Gold Boots, and Eegah! At one point, Mike wins a bet against his captors, and as payoff demands to see a really, really good story. So they oblige him, serving up a dubbed German black-and-white TV version of Hamlet from the 1960s. Another favorite of mine is their viewing of Manos: Hands of Fate (1966), recently celebrated in Entertainment Weekly as the Worst Film of All Time.

When superlatives of bad filmmaking are discussed, however, it is impossible not to mention schlock's greatest auteur, the figure celebrated in Tim Burton's 1994 film Ed Wood. (Warning: Ed Wood, which featured prominently at that year's Academy Awards, is a good movie--inspiring, even. My wife and I have seen it a dozen times, and will happily purchase it if and when it ever comes out on DVD.) Edward D. Wood, Jr., is most famous for Glen or Glenda (1953) and Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959) , but his ouevre is far more extensive, and impressive overall.

If you're a Netflix member (those guys should pay me for all the promotion I've done for them over the years!), all you have to do is select a choice schlock title, then look down at the "Enjoyed By Members Who Enjoyed..." listing and start clicking links, you'll find enough schlock to fill many a day with joy. Apparently I'm not the only one afflicted with this perverse affinity for dreck: go to Netflix and view custom lists such as "Something Weird discs." Something Weird is the name of a distribution company that has undertaken the re-release, on DVD, of all-but-orgotten schlock classics from the golden age of the "genre," c. 1955-1975.

Finally, no overview of schlock would be complete without mentioning those works of contemporary Hollywood or independent filmmakers, as opposed to small-time exploitation studios of the past, that qualify for the title. I'm not talking about senseless action fluff that's just plain bad--as someone reviewing Ed Wood years ago noted, if you want to see a really lousy movie, see Demolition Man. (Or Judge Dredd, or Die Hard 2, or Lethal Weapon 4, or.... and the list goes on.)

No, I'm talking about something that aims much higher, because after all, the essence of schlock is unintentional humor. For that, one can hardly do better than to see a film that all the "important" people take seriously, when anyone with a working brain can see that the Emperor is naked: Thirteen, for instance, or In the Bedroom. (Actually, the latter was just plain boring and lacking in surprises--not really schlock, I suppose.) Such a film might include a really good actor, like Bridget Fonda in Point of No Return. Or maybe many good (or at least, notable) figures--and here I come to my favorite of all bad mainstream movies, one I never miss when I catch in on cable: St. Elmo's Fire. (If you don't believe me, see some of the memorable quotes at the IMDb.)

[For more great titles, see the Wikipedia list of films "nominated" for the title of Worst Ever. Also, here's a superb MST3K tribute site with tons of artwork and details, etc.]

23 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, October 05, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Oh wow! When we had extended cable I used to watch Joel and MST all the time! I had a blast....it was like going to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show in my own home. Making snarky comments became fun and accebptable.

I've heard so much of Netflix...not interested in pursuing it though.

I just joined a Film Study group....hobby only. My first movie for the "class" is In The Bedroom with Sissy Spacek. Never seen it before. Have you?
I guess I'll have to hold off on viewing the schlock for a bit. They only have "serious" films.
Spinal Tap should have been on the list...*grin*

Great article! And resource links.
Thanks!!!!

 
At 12:48 PM, October 07, 2005, Blogger Bad Alice said...

I think of Caligula. Poor John Gielgud.

 
At 3:00 PM, October 07, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Caligula would be right up there--a film that deserves to be compared to its subject. Michele, re In the Bedroom, I kept trying to figure out if you had somehow not noticed what I said about it in the post, or if you did and were just playing with my mind. ;-)

 
At 11:13 AM, October 08, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

*LOL!*
Actually, I read your post but didn't comment immediately. Went to the library, was presented the "study DVD" and came home to blog again. Went directly to "comments" cuz I THOUGHT I knew what I was going to say but added the In the Bedroom info. It was current. So, nope, not playing with your mind..it's those silly muses. I didn't pay attention to the first time you mentioned it because I had no reference for remembering the movie. And NOW you tell me its boring....but that makes it interesting. Why?, because I have to pay attention as to what makes it boring. What were they trying to prove and why it failed. This is good. It is not a movie I EVER would have rented on my own.
Speaking of schocky movies...you didn't mention anything by Andy Wharhol....his Dracula was.....pure Andy all the way. I can't explain it in words, at least, not without blushing.
Sorry for the confusion......

 
At 9:53 AM, October 09, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Your faithful reader here as a question.....
Have you ever been curious about my blog??? Hmmmm?
Just wondering.
Oh speaking of movies...what's your take on
The Day of The Triffids? Or 5 Million Years to Earth???? Schlock or just fun?
Do you follow Harvey Corman's flicks at all??

 
At 10:32 AM, October 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele, I didn't even know you had a blog. How about a link? I certainly know of Roger Corman, but don't really know his movies, and of the others I must profess my ignorance.

 
At 2:06 PM, October 09, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Psssst,
here's a tip. If you put the cursor on my name, the little pointer turns into a hand.....well, mine does.
Anyway, click it and off it sends you to my profile which will lead you to my blog. How cool is that?

 
At 7:42 AM, October 10, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Michele, just so you know, I've visited your profile numerous times for the very reason of finding out if you had a blog I could visit, but I never found one. Now I know. When I next can get to a connected laptop or desktop (I'm out of town and doing all this via Blackberry), I'll check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

 
At 5:48 PM, October 10, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

How bizarre.
My blog name is all the way at the bottom. Everytime I look at myself...I like to change things from time to time...it's been there.....
M's Favorite Things.

Things that make you go, Hmmmmm.

 
At 10:27 AM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

OH, Gads, I can't believe I'm going to do this. I hope you get this Judson...
I've been tagged by that 23rd post thingy. My first time and guess what....I going to tag you!!!!!!
I've not read a post yet where anyone has tagged you...so I'm going to grab the honor and tag you...
YOU'RE IT!!!

*grin*

 
At 11:58 AM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

AARRRGGHH!
You checked before I was finished with the Tag post...You are just too quick to click!!!!!

I was posting the nature pics and they take awhile because they have to be formatted to fit into the blog........
So, check back and then you can do the 23rd post thing....
All the way from L.A., huh? Wow.
Maybe through the "tag" you'll get flooded with folks?? That would be cool....I can't be the ONLY one who appreciates your insights, beside Diedre of course....
TTFN!

 
At 5:49 AM, October 12, 2005, Blogger Kelli McBride said...

My favorite MST3K movie is RIDING WITH DEATH. When the title credit appears, Tom Servo says, "And when you're riding with death, always remember to buckle up."

 
At 11:41 AM, October 12, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Hey , Kelli!
LOL!
Nice to see you here , too!!!! :-)

 
At 3:39 PM, October 25, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Helloooo!
The month is almost over..are you going to do a Halloween post???
Saw In The Bedroom for that movie discussion group I joined. Watching the movie by myself, I hated it. Discussing it with other people, from ages 18 to 79 was interesting. The movie isn't a total washout...but I won't watch it again...once was enough.
The next will be To Kill A Mockingbird. Believe or not, I've never seen it!!!
Hope you are back from L.A. safe and sound?

 
At 7:19 AM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Hey, Michele. Yes, I've been back for a while, and as always, busier than the proverbial "one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest." (One of my favorite Southernisms!)

Glad you hated "In the Bedroom" :) What an overrated piece of garbage! I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, so I guess I shouldn't say "garbage"--it's just boring and obvious and completely lacking in suspense. I only attacked it so much because the Hollywood glitterati made such a deal of it on Oscar night that year. The fact that it doesn't do any more to affect the emotions of the viewer (at least for me) says a lot, because we should have been made to care about the son and the loss of him, not to mention the parents' decision to commit murder. Instead, it's all just humdrum and completely unspecial.

"To Kill a Mockingbird," on the other hand, is a great movie, though for anybody who's loved the book, the movie naturally pales in comparison. That's one of those books I read over and over and over in childhood, to the extent that I felt like Scout, Jem, and Dill were friends and playmates--along with Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, and the kids from the Narnia books.

Haven't visited your blog lately, but will stop by there right now. As you see, I tend to be kind of sporadic about my blog: sometimes I'll get really fired up and do entry after entry, then I'll let weeks go by with nary a peep. I could try to cover myself by quoting Emerson to the effect that "a slavish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds," but I don't think RWE--who praised hard work and commitment--had this sort of thing in mind.

 
At 7:47 AM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

LOL!!!
Never had anyone be "glad I hated a movie" before.

When you said you would visit my blog, you weren't kidding!!!

As far as links, you've been in my personal favorites for quite some time.
But for you , I'll go public!" *grin*

 
At 7:57 AM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Thanks! I'll post a link for you on mine. As for being "thrilled you hated the movie," that comes from hearing friends all the time say they loved something that I "know" ;-) was a piece of crap.

 
At 8:01 AM, October 27, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Jumpin' Jelly Beans!
You are on a roll!
And yes, I saw your comments on LaRa's site.
Refreshing,,,huh?
LOL
Thanks for the numerous visits. You've kept me busy!
Love it!!!!

 
At 1:02 PM, October 27, 2005, Blogger eMMa said...

-sighs-

I don't have anything really constructive or thought provoking to add to this thread....I rarely watch movies good or bad..

How about them Chicago Bears??

 
At 12:01 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

A guy I work with has a whole catalog of those films and he actually buys them. I told him about Netflix, but he didn't sign up. The fool. I didn't know about the "weird lists." I must investigate now.

 
At 6:54 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger The Girl You Used to Know said...

Jud,

This was the post that cracked me up. Why? You ask. (I know you're asking) Because as much as I should be ashamed to admit this, I LOVE Die Hard 1 and 2. Not a big fan of 3, though. Yes, even I have my limits.

And, I even like LW 4. Bad mullet and all.

Growing up, I used to watch Sunday B movies. The Blob, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Tarantula, etc.

Then I fell in love with Alfred Hitchcock. Sure, he would scare the pants off me, but there was always a campy humor in his films that even as I kid I could appreciate.

(Though it took me a very long time to get over my issues with birds.)

Later dude.
-Mel

 
At 9:18 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Helloooooo!! Judson

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND DIERDRE!!!!!!

 
At 1:55 PM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, Mel...I'm STILL terrified of birds to this day from watching Hitchcock's movie!

Worst bad movie of all times, IMHO? MAGNOLIA! UGH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home