Judson Knight's Epic World

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

To Come of Age in Interesting Times

Often in the past four years, I've thought of that old saying that goes something like this: "May you never have the misfortune of living in interesting times." Something like that--anyway, the point being that "interesting times" are usually ones of upheaval.

I was born in the last year of the Baby Boom (1964), but I'm more properly a member of Generation X--though by the time the latter came into its identity, I was already married and living in a world more concerned with Eddie Bauer than Eddie Vedder. I remember a friend once saying, "It seems as though history stopped happening about the time I came along"--a sentiment to which I very much related. Looking back on it, the close of the 1960s--i.e., about the time I started school and first became aware of world events--brought with it a number of phenomena that seemed to indicate an end to history (the latter was even the title of a book published in the late 1980s), most notably the retreat of the United States from the world stage in the aftermath of Vietnam.

At seventeen years of age, I joined the Army--not because I had always had that ambition, but because I had no direction in life and no possible way of paying for college otherwise. It remains one of the best decisions I've ever made, and even now I think often with gratitude of the many great lessons I learned during those two years. This was the early 1980s, remember, and at that time joining the military seemed to be about little more than what Uncle Sam could do for you, not what you could do for Uncle Sam.

One night in the fall of 1983, I was out at a movie (don't remember the flick, but I remember the girl I was with ;-) in downtown Fayetteville, NC, when suddenly the projector stopped and someone in uniform stepped out front with orders for all members of certain units to return to their posts at Fort Bragg immediately. By that point, their comrades in the 82nd Airborne had already launched the invasion of Grenada, the first significant U.S. military action in a decade.

I had just turned nineteen, and I wanted to go to Grenada myself. Not being airborne or infantry, I would never have been part of the fighting, but in a combat situation, even support personnel are in danger. Still, I didn't care: I was young, I had no wife or girlfriend or children. I would have welcomed the adventure--the chance to feel not only that history was happening, but that I was part of it.

Since that time, of course, we've all become very accustomed to history happening, though as we've all found out, the actual outworking of historical events is often highly uncomfortable. History resumed on November 9, 1989--9/11 in the European system of rendering dates--and the end of the Cold War ultimately set the stage, as we have seen, for what some people call World War IV (the Cold War itself having been World War III). Though we call the events taking place right now on the other side of the world "The Iraq War," in fact Iraq is simply a major theatre of operations in a larger, ongoing worldwide conflict whose outcome is far from certain--interesting times indeed.

Would I want to actively participate in that war now, at forty-one, with a wife and children and a business and a million other little threads tying me down to this life and the here and now? Absolutely not. And yet I can say with complete sincerity that if I had been born a couple of decades later, and found myself coming of age now, with the same level of commitments I had in 1983, I would be volunteering to go to Iraq. In any case, the young people in our armed forces during these interesting times deserve respect, admiration, and gratitude--particularly from those of us who served in a sleepier age, when history had not yet resumed. Because of what they're doing, let's hope that the next generation--my own children and their cohorts--will again get to live in uninteresting times.

20 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Wow, give you a hiatus in blogging and you come back with style!

Love this post, the message and the sincerity behind it.

The weird thing about the post, which has not anything to do with your points....is that I am OLDER than you!!!!
Only by a year...
With your broad view of topics, indepth discussion and articulate vocabulary..I have mentally labeled you as a Renaissance man...
and now, you bein' younger and all....*grin*...

 
At 11:33 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger The Girl You Used to Know said...

sigh.

I truly hate war. It's the bleeding heart in me. (you're shocked, I know)But, what I hate more than war is not knowing when it will end.

I have good friends and family that have been in Iraq or are going over soon. They are making history. I just wish it was a different type of history.

I don't support the war but we're over there now and we need to get it right before we come home. I support the troops. It takes true loyalty to defend the rights of another country in order help secure the rights in your own.

Now, pass me the peace pipe--I made brownies. :)

 
At 11:57 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger The Girl You Used to Know said...

And another comment--cuz I just feel all chatty today. (can't blame my chattiness on bourbon either)

I was born in 69. (hehehe--sorry, it's the Beavis and Butthead in me) I think part of the reason we feel that history stopped around us was because we were so wrapped up in ourselves that we didn't take the time to realize history never stops.

I can think of several issues that happened during my elementary-high school years that I took no real notice of.

Iranian Hostages
Reagan getting shot
Iran-Contra
The Challenger Explosion
First Woman Vice Presidential Candidate

These are just a few instances of history that I never took the time to understand until later. I never really realized how self-absorbed I was during those years. I hope I do a better job of teaching my children to understand the importance of the world as it happens around them.

Okay. I'm done. I think.

 
At 1:47 PM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Great thoughts! And I think each generation is self absorbed to the point where they feel history has stopped around them. My teenager and friends now don't understand the implications of the war today. Maybe when they become older, they'll "get" it. My little ones are, of course, oblivious. To keep the true essence of what it's like to live in today's "interesting times", I scrapbook for each of the kids my thoughts/feelings on current events. Who knows, maybe they'll actually read them later in life and be impressed that they "lived during that era".

 
At 1:59 PM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Avindair said...

I'm a little younger than you, Judson (1966 here), but I completely understand (is it still okay to say "grok"? Probably not...) what you're getting at here.

I'm a vet, too (Air Force), and my wife and I managed to be in Germany when the Wall fell.

That being said, I personally never felt like history had ended. Rather I felt the Cold War was a time when the world seemed to be holding its breath. Would the hot war happen? Would Soviet troops pour into Fulda Gap? Would REFORGER become a reality and not just a yearly exercise?

Luckily, none of those things happened. But the events in New York on that bright September morning in 2001 were, sadly, not as much a surprise to me as they were to others. Growing up around the military had its benefits, I guess.

Still, great posting.

 
At 11:06 AM, November 23, 2005, Blogger Kara Alison said...

Thanks to Michele for (loudly) pointing out this post on her blog. Since we're all sharing, I'll admit that I was born in 1980. I'll also admit that I was mostly oblivious to history/current events until only very recently. I'm not sure if it's a maturity that comes with age (I suspect that it is), but I think youth is generally too wrapped up in itself to appreciate the implications of world events. The flip side is that I think older generations (and truly no offense intended by this) are so wrapped up in consequence and karma (if you will) that the self is somewhat lost. Perhaps something in the middle is more appropriate?

At any rate, this is an interesting post. I remember when 9/11 happened and my mother said to me (after informing me that the family was okay) that she had hoped I'd never have to see history. That comment struck me and has stayed with me since. I've seen a lot of what will be called history now. It's lent a lot of perspective to the history I learned about it grade school. Good or bad? It is what it is I suppose...

 
At 1:54 PM, November 23, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

I was in the Navy from '84 to '88, which most people think of as a horribly boring time to be in the military. In fact, those years were probably some of the most tense between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. The USSR, as we now know, was cornered, dying, and desperate. I'm a Clancy fan, and he does a great job of giving us some clues as to what was happening behind the scenes during the cold war. My biggest thrill was when my ship was called to the Persian Gulf after the USS Stark was hit. Most people have already forgotten about that, but our history with Iraq goes way back before Kuwait. We are living in a fascinating moment in world history. Peggy Noonan nailed it a few years ago when she said that this is "a time of lore." Like the years leading up to WWII, the Great Depression, the fall of Rome, there are events now unfolding that will set the stage for the next great act in world history, perhaps even the last. I'm rambling, perhaps I should have put this on my own blog, but Justin pegged a topic of which I hold great interest. I'm with him, I wouldn't want to run off to war now with a family and commitments. But, as a young man, I would have been chomping at the bit, ready to jump on the stage and somehow effect the course of human events.

 
At 4:09 PM, November 23, 2005, Blogger Judson Knight said...

Wow, awesome comments, everybody! I feel very honored. Michele, as always you're a doll for using your considerable clout to direct Kara and others to my blog. (And just so you know, I figured you were about 10 years younger than me! These days, it's nice to be younger than somebody!)

Mel, I appreciated what you said because as I know (and as you pointed out), you don't support the war--yet you have a realistic understanding of the fact that, like it or not, we're there now and have to see this thing through to some kind of appropriate conclusion.

Avindair and Ron are absolutely right, of course: we may want to romanticize the Cold War now that we know how it turned out, but at the time things were very tense. For the most part, civilians were shielded from it, though, as were military personnel such as yours truly who didn't really play any kind of significant role. Yet I'll never forget how Berlin felt when I visited there for the first time in April-May 1988--the tension, the solemnity, the sense of contingency surrounding all the joys of life that people might otherwise take for granted. No one could have guessed then just how soon it would end; we were very much in the middle of things, with no assurance that events would turn out favorably in the end.

Anyway, thanks for your posts, everybody!

 
At 7:18 PM, November 23, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

10 years??!!
Oh, you wonderful man.
LOL
Thank you!!

If I wanted to "feel" my age, my little sis harrasses me enough to not let it go to my head.
Plus having young'uns helps some too...

I'm so glad your blog post was received even better than I hoped!
But then, it's a great post.
Have a great holiday!!!

 
At 12:57 PM, November 24, 2005, Blogger Angela's Designs said...

Great post to read on Thanksgiving Day.

 
At 6:53 PM, November 26, 2005, Blogger Bad Alice said...

Ah, yes, the Cold War years, the holding breath years, the years when the label "commie" was the ultimate epithet. Lots of stuff from my childhood I didn't comprehend--the tail end of Vietnam, Watergate. The first time I felt completely undone by a historical event was the fall of the Berlin Wall. It was as if the Bogey man just suddenly evaporated. The iron curtain was diaphonous after all. Turned out not to be happily ever after,and those images have been usurped by more recent ones, but watching the wall come down was something I'll always remember.

 
At 9:22 PM, November 29, 2005, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

And I think it's a generational thing too. My father would have gladly gone to Iraq, but, ironically, cancer kept him home. Now what a weird thing for me to say, I'm thankful for cancer. The twist is he would have liked to have gone, and I would have been just as proud of him as I was afraid.

 
At 3:37 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Ho Ho Ho , Oh, Judson!!!

Where are youuu...are you going to make one more wonderful post before Christmas?

Should I wish you Merry Christmas now???

 
At 11:51 AM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Michele said...

Ack!! 2005 is almost over!
And no post?

OK, I bet you are gearing up for a resoundingly insighful first post of 2006..
I can't wait..
Until then

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!

 
At 6:22 PM, January 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year! Michele, I'm waiting for that insightful and thoughtful post as well. It's been too long!

 
At 11:25 AM, January 02, 2006, Blogger Michele said...

I hear you ,Robin.
Next step, We Go on Deirdre's blog and remind him *wink*

 
At 1:39 PM, January 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

OOH, are we THAT evil, Michele? Hmmm....maybe we should! LOL Then again, I just checked Deidre's blog and it's been a while since SHE posted. Could they be, GASP, busy working? I mean, it WAS end of year and now the beginning! LOL

 
At 7:23 PM, January 02, 2006, Blogger Michele said...

Oh, Piffle, Robin.
Being busy is no excuse to ignore his faithful fans!
We rate.
Yup, I think we're *snicker* evil enough to do that.
We just have to remind him.
The question is...how do we remind Deidre to remind Judson?
Hmmm, dilemma.
Any suggestions,Robin?

 
At 6:47 AM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Michele, we COULD be brazen enough just to email him and tell him to post! LOL

 
At 7:29 AM, January 04, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm...Michele, I DO have his email! Want it? LOLOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home